A lot of us want to become our own entrepreneurs, but the thing that’s stopping most of us is the startup cost. There’s always going to be risk involved and it’s uncertain as to whether you’re going to make back your money or not, let alone make a profit. A new platform called Merch by Amazon works to solve all this.
What Is Merch By Amazon?
Merch by Amazon is a branch of the Amazon retail site that allows you to sell personally branded t-shirts at no startup cost. You are solely responsible for the design, selling, and promoting your t-shirt, but absolutely nothing comes out of your pocket.
Amazon is able to do this because they won’t print your design on a t-shirt until there’s a sale. When someone is finally willing to buy your product, they’ll print out the t-shirt and then ship it to the buyer. After all is said and done, they take a commission and give the rest of the money to you.
Here are the things you don’t have to pay for when using Merch by Amazon:
- Promotion (word required)
To get started, all you need to do is upload a piece of artwork that you’d like to be displayed on your t-shirt. Almost all designs are acceptable provided that they are family-friendly and don’t contain any highly offensive material. In fact, multiple gaming companies have already created t-shirts using Merch by Amazon. You can see some samples in the image below.
Once your artwork is approved and uploaded, you are solely responsible for the sale and promotion of your product. If you don’t know how to do this, Amazon has tools that can help you spread the word about how great your product is as well as keep track and analyze sales as to where you can improve your marketing strategy.
Yet the biggest and most important thing is that there are no out-of-pocket costs. No upfront payment either. All you need to do is upload a design, and if customers like it they’ll buy it. This is an excellent way to earn some extra cash or at least get your foot in the door for starting a business.
Amazon does take a majority of the funds that you make, but this is because they are covering all of the costs. The money that they’re making in the end is actually very little per t-shirt. If you sell a t-shirt for $20, you’re going to collect a royalty of about $9, meaning you get about 45%. Keep in mind that it may differ greatly depending on whatever price you set.
How Do I Get Started With Merch By Amazon?
Signing-up and getting started to sell your t-shirt design is very simple. Here we break it down into 5 steps.
1. Register. You can sign-up for a Merch by Amazon account by clicking this link here. Log into your Amazon account and agree to their terms of service.
2. Upload your design. Once you log-in, there will be a button for you to upload your design. There are a few design guidelines, so make sure to glance those over before you submit anything.
3. Promote your design. You can create an in-app promotion, put your product link across social media networks, and also create full-page promotions. You set the price of your product, and Amazon usually takes around a 55% commission while you keep the other 45%.
Merch by Amazon was originally created as a way for developers and gaming companies to quickly create a t-shirt for their product and get it out to all of their fans. Now it’s become available to everyone. This is a great way to start a new business without any startup costs.
If you’re needing some extra cash or have some artwork that you’d like to show off without having to spend any money, go ahead and give Merch by Amazon a try. Have you submitted a t-shirt? Go ahead and promote it in the comments below! We’d love to see it.